Forum

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Valuable feedback is priceless. Plus, you can get some extra Render Points :)

TOPIC: Download animation: lots of avi fragments

Download animation: lots of avi fragments 2 years 11 months ago #958

• hakblar
  • New RayPumper
Just did my first render with Raypump. Scene uploaded quickly, rendering was equally quick and all for a reasonable sum. I was feeling rather chuffed until i ran into some problems.

After the rendering was done nothing was to be found within my folder. I specified a folder as download destination earlier, but after double clicking the icon within the client said it hasn't downloaded yet. The icon was still spinning so i gave it some more time. However it didn't seem to progress, or at least i couldn't find out what it was doing. Forced the download after a while and it quickly put the correct files in my folder, be it in fragments. Lot's of avi segments which i can't really patch together.

I'm unsure what went wrong here. Could you clarify? I'm going to try again but losing 631 points -or to rephrase: exchanging 631 points for an avi jigsaw puzzle- kinda puts a damper on my very pleased initial impression.

It would be nice to know what is going on. I feel like the client and the FAQ guide are a bit lacking on this specific part of the process. Perhaps that's something that can be improved in the future?

Also, I suspect that it got hung up on the file format since when i rendered it myself it came out as a mov opposed to avi. (i specified quicktime with a h264 codec). However this is just a wild stab in the dark.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Download animation: lots of avi fragments 2 years 11 months ago #960

• hakblar
  • New RayPumper
Let the same render run again for the entire night, got stuck at 95%. Icon was still spinning after 10 hours. Seemed inactive though. No render to be found in the folder. Tried to refresh, icon started spinning but that just cleared the whole job list.
Forced download, got a lot of .png with some avi fragments. It isn't 100 fps aswell.

Running blender v2.73 on OS X 10.9.3 with the latest client tried to render a 100 fps h264 losless. Pretty standard scene.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by hakblar.

Download animation: lots of avi fragments 2 years 11 months ago #962

• BlooFuut
  • New RayPumper
I believe the best practice is output in an image format (JPG, PNG). I would guess Raypump is hanging trying to create the final movie file and isn't configured for it.

Render as image files and make the movie file locally. Also, if render fails with video output you lose the whole thing. But with images output, you'll get every sucessful image rendered.

Check out tips for rendering animations www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/rendering-...ations/#.VKnUAMXgHa8

Scott
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by BlooFuut. Reason: better explanation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: melon, hakblar

Download animation: lots of avi fragments 2 years 11 months ago #964

• blending software ideas
  • melon
  • PumpOperator
Exactly what I was thinking reading hakblar's post - you should set the output format as png, jpg (any static image format, exr in some more sophisticated scenarios).

Rendering avi directly on farm is bad idea. I though RayPump should switch any movie format to png automatically, but seems you've found a way to "force" avi - which caused problems.

I think I should update some user manual pages about that. I can also refund your 631 Render Points, I guess - this sound like minor but (despite you always should explicitly select static image formats, of course).
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by melon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hakblar

Download animation: lots of avi fragments 2 years 11 months ago #967

• hakblar
  • New RayPumper
Many thanks to both of you. Wasn't aware that this could cause problems, will go for image based renders from now one.

Service maintenance

Forum actions

Users online

We have 159 guests and no members online